The Acai Berry berry is considered one of the healthiest and most perfect natural foods content that nature brings us, in fact, it is considered a key food.
Acai Berry – Benefits and Properties
The acai palm, (also known as asaí, azaí, huasaí, palma murrapo, palma manaca, naidí, majo or açai in Portuguese or Euterpe oleracea in Latin) is a fruit with very strong antioxidant powers which causes acai berries to be a very powerful anti-aging superfood.
Acai berri has its origin in Central and South America. Its pulp concentrates more antioxidants than other fruits such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries.
If you want to show off your physique by eating in the healthiest way possible, nothing better than the acai berri so you can start to look like a palm!
What is açai?
The acai berri is on everyone’s lips and is that it is the fruit of the moment, which does not mean that it is a passing fad because you must know that its incredible qualities make it a splendid candidate to settle permanently in your pantry.
The acai is:
- A small fruit that is a little smaller than a grape
- Very appreciated for its properties since the pre-Columbian era in which its benefits were already recorded
- Known in the western world since the 90s
- With great relevance in recent years in all media
- Currently exported to countries such as the United States, Australia or Japan
- Produced in Brazil where it is still collected with ancestral means, tying its feet with a rope and climbing to the top of the palm trees
- Highly valued for its antioxidant effects
That said, we go now with the advantages of taking acai berri …
What are the benefits of açai?
The acai berri or the acai berry, native to the rainforests of the Amazon has been considered for centuries a healing and immuno-stimulating fruit whose extraordinary antioxidant richness is beyond dispute.
Among its many health benefits , the following stand out:
- Promotes the state of the heart , being high in anthocyanin, an antioxidant that balances cholesterol levels
- Plant against harmful organisms , as evidenced by recent studies related to the consumption of its extract
- It helps to reduce the extra kilos and not only that but it will also help you maintain your ideal weight
- Promotes the beauty of the skin being its oil an excellent alternative to skin care treatments made from chemicals
- It facilitates digestion due to its ability to detoxify, as a source of dietary fiber that is
- Decreases lung irritation associated with respiratory difficulties and swelling
- It improves the health of the cells because the anthocyanins that it concentrates play a crucial role in the cellular protection of the body
- Stimulates the immune system because its polyphenolic compounds reduce the proliferation of malfunctioning cells
- It has remarkable anti-aging effects since acai berries have a high percentage of phytochemicals that are related to oxidative damage
- Increase energy and endurance fighting fatigue and exhaustion
- It contributes to the improvement of mental function and in particular of cognition and the promotion of healthy brain aging
- It promotes a healthy libido because its consumption collaborates to boost sexual function
These are some of the reasons why you should incorporate acai berri into your daily diet, but there are many more, stay with us and know in depth this superfood that everyone talks about
What are the characteristics of the acai berry berry?
The berry is dark reddish-purple and the size of a grape. The berry contains a large seed, but it is the juicy pulp that has the most nutrients and has a bitter aftertaste that is similar to dark chocolate. Its composition allows them to be one of the most effective foods to counteract the oxidative damage that free radicals produce in addition to fighting inflammation .
In countries such as Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Suriname, Guyana and Venezuela, its consumption and trade is something traditional because this fruit is part of its local cuisine.
In these countries mentioned, especially in Brazil, it is very common to find this berry as an ingredient in many drinks, desserts, soft drinks and even liquors, while, in the rest of the world, including Spain, it is now when it begins to be popular and We can usually find it in parapharmacies, herbalists and even in greengrocers.
A curious fact about the berries of Acai is that their collection is done only by hand . In fact, the collection of Açai is the economic activity par excellence of the state of Pará, Brazil. The berries are collected in the morning and, in the afternoon, the fruit is taken to the markets of the city of Belém.
Part of the harvest is used to make açai powder and passes to a mill where the base pulp is extracted.It is important to note that when the fruit of the açaí is ripe it tends to deteriorate very quickly, therefore, to maintain its high nutritional content , the fruit must be processed within 24 hours after being extracted from the tree.
What are the properties of Açai Berry?
The strong point by which it is known in all corners of the planet is for its rejuvenating and energizing effects that are due to its antioxidant properties. Originally from South American countries such as Brazil or Peru, acai berries have been used by indigenous tribes traditionally, being for a time to this part when they have jumped to the fore for the rest of the world.
This small fruit, whose color is dark purple, is juicy and fleshy and has a very characteristic flavor, a bit bitter but similar to that of chocolate .
As for its composition , every 100 grams of pulp of its fruit contain 8.1 grams of protein, 52.2 grams of carbohydrates that include 44.2 grams of fiber, 32.5 grams of fat, 260 milligrams of calcium, 4 , 4 milligrams of iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, 319 grams of anthocyanin and various antioxidants.
Prestigious scientific journals demonstrate its usefulness in relation to the fight against peroxide and superoxide free radicals , two toxic agents that generate diseases.
What we have in our hands is a small berry full of antioxidants, amino acids, omegas 3, 6 and 9, fibers and proteins, which empowers it as:
- Powerful antioxidant that concentrates almost 33 times the antioxidant content of black grapes and has numerous phytochemicals that slow and even reverse aging, as these berries have 10 times more antioxidants than grapes and two more than blueberries
- Energetic that will provide you with enormous vitality and resistance which makes it a complement of the most suitable for athletes and people with a huge daily activity. Those who want to take the test take acai berri before training and any obstacle becomes easy.
- Rejuvenating because of its high concentration of antioxidants that fight against free radicals
- Depurative because it contains fiber with which you will eliminate fats and that of course they will deflate you, for which it is better that you take it on an empty stomach. Specifically, it has been found that its pulp reduces body fat deposits
- Strengthening defenses for its content in ellagic acid, polyphenol with which to fight viruses and bacteria
- Diuretic so it is recommended to those who need to eliminate liquids by its mild diuretic action
- It keeps cholesterol at bay given its high fiber intake, its antioxidant action and its concentration of omegas that do not allow fat to be absorbed, so that it prevents cholesterol from being generated, thus also lowering the levels of the dreaded LDL or bad cholesterol, which makes him the ideal candidate to fight against cardiovascular diseases
- Fights constipation by concentrating large amounts of natural fiber. If you want to regulate your intestinal transit nothing better than combining acai berri with the consumption of different fruits and vegetables
- Strengthens the nervous system , keeping it in good condition for its omegas acids
- Nutritious and remineralizing , containing 16 amino acids and a large amount of minerals, among which zinc, magnesium, iron and a high potassium content that reaches 930 milligrams per 100 grams of acai berri, in which we find the time 45 milligrams of vitamin E and 20 milligrams of vitamin C.
No doubt these are some of the many reasons why acai berri gains more followers every day. Combine it with some sport or with the practice of some exercise and start taking care of yourself now.
Is acai a great source of antioxidants?
As we have been pointing out from the beginning, if there is a characteristic that draws attention to the acai berri, it is its very high concentration of antioxidants. For this reason, this food is a very beneficial natural cleanser for the human body.
There is no other fruit that has even the same amount of antioxidants by far, so in the fight against free radicals, which are those that expose us to diseases such as arthritis, cancer or Alzheimer’s, it is unparalleled.
Take off those extra pounds …
If you are already weighing those extra kilos, and never better, ally with a acai berri a plant that the towns near the Amazon, specifically those of Belém (Brazil) have included in their gastronomic tradition throughout the centuries, for what its consumption dates back to pre-Columbian times.
Dietitians recommend it as an exceptional dietary supplement for weight loss whose antioxidant qualities are contributed by a multitude of chemical compounds known as flavonols and minerals.
These antioxidants ensure that veins and arteries remain in perfect condition, improving cardiovascular diseases that are associated with obesity such as diabetes, hypertension or cholesterol .
Its content in flavonols , especially in anthocyanins of the fresh fruit in the acai berrri is the largest recorded in any fruit. However, its content is antioxidant substances is remarkably sensitive, so it is significantly reduced in certain preparations such as pasteurized acai juices. It should be noted its richness in zinc that is not common in other fruits.
In cases of hyperlipemias it is advisable to moderate the consumption of acai because its pulp concentrates more fat than avocado. On the contrary, it should be added that it has a very healthy fat profile and rich in Omega 9, fat that is introduced in the treatments of cardiovascular diseases given its anti-inflammatory properties.
As an extra advantage we have to refer to its satiating power that is explained because acai pulp contains fiber and sugars, which leads to their slow absorption and the feeling of being full. An exception is the acai palmitos, a vegetable flavor with a very pleasant flavor that only provides fiber as well as calcium from the palm.
Get used to juices and acai pulp that have almost as much calcium content as milk , a fundamental mineral in all and almost one of the stages of life and that is essential in diets to lose weight, as they often have deficiencies regarding This mineral
Add acai berri to your diet and you will not only lose weight but you will be giving it a plus of nutrients , with the character of prevention of future diseases that this implies.
How is it taken?
The consumption of acai berri has skyrocketed in recent years so that millions of people are excited about this fruit. Something you have to know is that although it is ideal to consume fresh acai berri, it is difficult to achieve, but its quality is unquestionable.
When it is not possible for you to make fresh acai berries, opt for dried or frozen acai as an option that lasts longer.
A simple way to consume it is in juices or concentrates but it is a matter of finding those that present an adequate value for money and, in addition, in them it is more complicated to specify the amount of total acai that you are ingesting.
Acai powder or capsules have a longer shelf life and favor the consumption of acai.
What if you turn it into a rich breakfast?
Get in the cart of acai berry bowls for breakfast, which are really beaten but served in a bowl and is a well-known way to consume it.
Get a nutritious and delicious breakfast that you can prepare in many variants, because it is a versatile food. The only thing you have to keep in mind are some principles that will help you make all your bowls:
- You can vary the raw foods you add. How do you see spinach, bananas or nuts? Naturally they are just some suggestions. Add some applesauce and chia or flaxseed
- Use your high speed blender to liquefy the ingredients, so that the dish acquires a homogeneous consistency
- To finish getting the consistency you like, thick with chia or ice that will help you lose weight, feeling satiated
Video about its health benefits:
References and Sources:
- Schreckinger ME, Lotton J, Lila MA, et al. Berries from South America: a comprehensive review on chemistry, health potential, and commercialization . Journal of Medicinal Food. 2010; 13 (2): 233-246.
- Marcason W. What is the açaí berry and are there health benefits? Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009; 109 (11): 1968.
- Effects of supplementation with acai
- Cardiovascular effects of Acai
- Science Direct
Please help us get this information to as many people as possible. You just have to click on these buttons that you will see below and share it in one of your social networks. Thank you very much for your help.