Spirulina, this “miraculous algae” is a concentrate of high quality proteins and other components with stimulating, purifying and regenerating properties.
This microalgae is, in fact, a set of unicellular bacterial microorganisms of the genus Arthrospira .
All the properties and benefits of Spirulina seaweed
Because of its richness in chlorophyll, it is a great blood detoxifier , and its high nutritional value has made it a superfood recognized by the United Nations to combat anemia and malnutrition. NASA even gives it as a supplement to its astronauts .
Spirulina or spirulina (Spirulina maxima) , which some consider a bacterium and others an algae, has a greenish-blue appearance and a popularity that rises day by day like foam. It became known for being used with great success by NASA , which included it as a supplement in the diet that astronauts follow in special missions.
For this and for many other reasons that we are going to give you below, it is a superfood that nutritionists advise all those who care more and more about their health and who combine a healthy diet with exercise. Is this your case? Well, follow us because how much we have to tell you about the “blue seaweed” will not leave you indifferent …
Table of Contents [ show ]
What is spirulina for?
You have to know that, although it is now when it is reaching its highest prestige levels, spirulina has been serving as a food resource throughout the history of mankind, to the point that the Aztecs already took it after drying a sun cyanobacteria called Arthrospira platensis that came from Lake Texcoco. Although a few decades ago its consumption began to spread, today it is a true “boom”. The reason? Well, spirulina is used to:
- Increase muscle mass due to its high protein content
- Without being a meal replacement, it is very positive to treat children with malnutrition whenever it is combined with their usual diet
- As an energy contribution is priceless for those who suffer high physical and intellectual wear
- Provides iron to the body since it has chlorophyll
- It is a source of vitamin A that is crucial for vision and blood transport, among others
- Similarly it is a source of vitamin E
- It contains beta-carotene so it protects the skin from the harmful effects of the sun because it stimulates the secretion of melanin
- It has a remarkable anti-inflammatory effect for those diagnosed with arthritis and similar diseases, acting on prostaglandins
- It provides minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, chromium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, germanium and copper to the body.
- It helps to strengthen the immune system to the extent that it has been shown to affect the in vitro activation of human lymphocytes
- It contributes to losing weight due to its high content of phenylalanine, an amino acid that greatly decreases the dreaded feeling of hunger
- It is very indicated for insomnia because of its high content in melatonin
- It is recommended in diseases that carry a lot of physical fatigue , chronic obstructive disease (COPD), fatigue and fatigue
- Protects and nourishes kidneys and liver
Spirulina has also been traditionally used as a “holy grail” of youth, to prevent hair loss and increase sexual desire.
Why should we take it?
The main reason is because it is the ideal nutritional supplement for unbalanced diets that, although it is all the rage, has come with permanence.
The nature of spirulina, as we have said, generates controversy because although it was previously cataloged as an algae, it is now thought to be a prokaryotic organism that is made from cyanobacteria or cyanophytes of the Arthrospira genus .
Think that, although your usual diet is the most varied, it is very complicated that you can consume the large amount of vitamins and minerals that your body needs daily. Our diet is not made from nutritional tables but based on habits such as the intake of fish, meat, vegetables and fruits in a balanced way.
Such habits, no matter how healthy they are, do not have the same nutritional profile, so it is an excellent idea to take nutritional or vitamin supplements , such as spirulina, which give us everything in which our diet is “short.”
As for meat, say that this food offers proteins that are more digestible than those of beef, along with a huge variety of nutritional elements among which vitamins, proteins, minerals, essential fatty acids, nucleic acids such as DNA and RNA, carbohydrates, lipids, chlorophyll and a wide range of phytochemicals.
Its cultivation at the industrial level begins in the 70s in the Chad region, being highly appreciated by the Kanenmbu culture, who consumed it in the form of cookies, and gradually spread throughout the world, so much so that a few years ago it was seen in This food is an ally to end hunger globally, thanks to its great nutritional contribution.
For this reason the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Organization for the United Nations (UN) declared that it was the best superfood in the fight against malnutrition in those underdeveloped countries where feeding on proteins is the most complicated.
In Spain he lives in the Doñana Park.
Your 10 great benefits
Spirulina, which looks greenish blue, because phycocyanin gives it its bluish color and chlorophyll greenish, has innumerable nutritional properties, some of which we have already spoken, favoring your health and beauty.
1st. Regarding nutritional properties , it is composed of approximately 75% protein and has multiple vitamins and minerals. These include vitamin A, E, D, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 as well as iron, folic acid, zinc and essential acids. Its high chlorophyll content makes it an important source of oxygen.
2nd. Strengthens the immune system given its concentration in antioxidants (with anti-cancer properties), anti-inflammatory and antiviral.
3rd. It is antianemic because its chlorophyll fulfills a function similar to that of hemoglobin in the blood.
4th. It is a neutrotransmitter by helping to produce acetylcholine, helping to maintain the myelin sheath, which has neuronal functions so that the nervous system works properly.
5th. It stimulates intestinal transit , so it fights constipation, and is a natural antiseptic .
6º It helps a lot to lose weight by containing phenylalanine, an amino acid that suppresses appetite, which makes it included in weight loss programs.
7th. It affects greater intellectual, physical and sexual performance by containing vitamins that make cells work better.
8th. It favors the heart , as well as reducing cholesterol and triglycerides while reducing diastolic and systolic blood pressure.
9th. Your hair will never have looked so good because spirulina will provide the nutrients it needs to contain a large amount of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
10th. It delays aging because its chlorophyll, retinoids, vitamin E, beta-carotenes and linoleic acids act as potent antioxidants.
Undoubtedly, with spirulina all are advantages and we still have much more to tell you about this type of superfoods …
Spirulina algae for weight loss
This superfood that, despite all that has been said, is still called spirulina algae, helps to lose weight because it is used with great success as a satiator , which makes it the best support for people who have this goal, who will see satiated their hunger while receiving all their nutrients.
Perhaps you already know that there are many celebrities who have climbed into the spirulina car and keep their kilos at bay. On the other hand, its richness in proteins, minerals and vitamins make it the best of nutritional supplements and makes it included in your diet by athletes.
Here is an article that explains how to lose weight with spirulina .
Spirulina medicinal properties
Spirulina is attributed various medicinal properties such as:
- It is beneficial for the eyes , which is corroborated by the WHO and promising in vitro tests are being carried out . Its high levels of vitamin A make it an ally against night blindness.
- It is a protective substance of the heart to the extent that its high content in those compounds derived from omega 6 fatty acids, makes it especially advisable to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels and to improve blood in a general way, avoiding arterial problems .
This circumstance also reduces the risk of heart attacks, angina pectoris or other heart problems caused by excess fats in the blood.
- It strengthens the immune system and fights, as we have already mentioned, the fatigue associated with diseases such as COPD.
How to take Spirulina
We agree that spirulina is not a basic dish that you will find on restaurant menus but it is the perfect supplement to a diet , ideal as an anti-aging, rich in assimilable iron and low in fat.
Its contribution in essential fatty acids that you can not find in meat, eggs or dairy, will eventually convince you and, if this were not enough, it is low in calories.
Detoxify your body with spirulina and recover the physical form, vitality and energy that you should never lose. Do not stop consuming it especially if you suffer from anemia, exhaustion or demineralization.
If you are a vegetarian , spirulina is your thing because as a source of vitamin B-12, it will be essential for the health of your tissues and nerves. Use it to build the strongest of the immune systems and not to be affected by the lack of iron, which is one of the most common deficiencies.
When taking it, you can do it in different ways. The most normal thing is that you find it in pills but, depending on your taste, you can mix it with hummus or guacamole or add it to various powdered sauces.
If you want to get a tasty smoothie , try adding spirulina and you will have the healthiest breakfast or snack.
We are going to give you some ideas to make easy recipes with spirulina that will delight you and yours. Without any effort you will be adding it to your diet and its benefits will soon be noticed.
- A kiwi
- A cup of pineapple or papaya
- ½ cup cucumber
- A handful of spinach or any other green leaf
- ½ lemon or lime (peeled)
- One or 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- One teaspoon of spirulina algae powder
- A cup of water or soy milk
Add all the ingredients to the blender, mix and serve cold.
- 100 cc of cream
- 2 cloves of garlic
- One tablespoon of spirulina seaweed powder
- A small bouquet of basil
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts or walnuts
To the blender glass you will add the cream, a generous stream of olive oil, the garlic cloves and the bouquet of basil and blend until you notice that the mixture has become homogeneous. In the end you will add the spoonful of powdered spirulina seaweed and chopped pine nuts or nuts. Add to your favorite pasta dish and ready to enjoy!
Vegetable and spirulina smoothie
- 2 carrots
- One tablespoon of spirulina seaweed powder
- The juice of an orange
Peel the carrots and chop them. Place them in the blender or blender glass to which you will add the orange juice. Blend until you notice that it integrates completely and add the spoonful of spirulina algae powder. Mix well. Have your smoothie always at hand and drink when you feel like it. Without consuming just calories, you will be alleviating hunger in a natural and healthy way.
Video about the reasons why you should consume spirulina:
- Current knowledge on potential health benefits of Spirulina
- Antioxidant, Immunomodulating, and Microbial-Modulating Activities of Spirulina
- Potential health benefits of spirulina microalgae
- National Institutes of Health
- Efficacy of Spirulina extract
- Journal of medical microbiology
- Spirulina in the candida diet
- USDA Food composition
Please help us get this information to as many people as possible. You just have to click on these buttons that you will see below and share it in one of your social networks. Thank you very much for your help.